Is the Pharmaceutical Industry the one pushing for an e-cigarette ban?

The awful EU Directive, you know the one we are talking about, Dalligate etc….Well  at the moment there are plenty of ideas of what the ‘why ban them’ might be, it’s simply a case of choosing one of the many out there, as most are probably not far from being wrong.

But one of  the most popular one at present is that the Pharmaceutical Industry doesn’t want e-cigs on the market because they are turning folk away from smoking, and because of that, they have brought their wealth to the table to influence the directive. They want people to carry on smoking, or they want to own the medical license for the e-cigs.

They only get the licence if the directive is passed as it is.

Now, you and I know that it is a good thing to turn folk to vaping, but if you make your money from the side effects of smoking, the last thing you want is folk to stop.

Don’t believe me?

The following  stats and quotes have been taken from the ECCAUK website, from the journalist Q& A page,  and if these stats are  true,  then it is sobering reading:

“The main reason that pharma need to see e-cigarettes banned is to protect their vast income from the treatment of sick and dying smokers. As one of their largest income channels, this is one of the jewels in their crown. It is a $100bn a year global market for chemotherapy drugs, COPD drugs, cardiac drugs, vascular drugs, and all the other drugs sold as a result of smoking disease”

My note to try and put some perspective on this: Remember, medicine is a business like any other. It always has been, and may well continue that way. That figure of $100 billion is quite shocking when read in a business like way. We generally only see the  ‘they got him over cancer’ side to medicines and are grateful, but when it boils down to it, the Pharmaceutical Industry is there to make money out of sick people. This can be both a good and a bad thing.

“Added to this is the much smaller drugs trade in NRTs and other pharmacotherapies for smoking cessation (perhaps a $3bn global trade).”

ECCAUK  also  believe that The Pharmacuetical Industry could lose 50% of it’s revenue from the above once e-cigs reach a critical mass. $50 billion is a lot wiped off the books!

E-cigs apparently help 75% of those that try them to switch to vaping in favour of smoking, but at the 20 month marker for final determination of smoking status, NRT only works for 2% of those that try it, the other 98% continue to smoke cigarettes.

E Cigs are an alternative to tobacco cigarettes, they are not a quit smoking product, so maybe it is a tad unfair to compare them to NRT, but what they are is a harm reduction device, which must be a good thing, otherwise why would the Pharmaceutical Industry want them either in their stable or banned, irrespective of whether the stats  and the ECCAUK  premise is 100%  correct?

Leave a Reply

Get Adobe Flash player